Make sure you’ve got a pan big enough to hold the turkey
Make sure you can get the turkey into the oven
Have you got enough foil to cover it?
Check timings for cooking turkey ( see below)
Check you have enough plates.
Check you have enough serving dishes (for brussel sprouts, roast potatoes, roast parsnips, stuffing)
Lay in liver/hangover treatments
Make brandy butter
Get 5p/10p/20p coins for Christmas Pud (remember Mr Osborne’s prudent principles; no 50p coins)
Make/buy cranberry sauce
Prepare alternative to Christmas pudding
Remember who’s gone vegetarian since last Christmas. Make sure you have ingredients for said dishes. Chocolate sardines will not do.
Check the booze supply
Calculate probable calorific intake.
Calculate post-Xmas action plan to cope with excess.
Make plans to off-load unused food items and unwanted presents
Check supplies of : eggs, milk, butter, creams, lemons, limes, clementines, ginger, fennel, celeriac, potatoies, onions, carrots, celery, chickory, salad thimgs, pulses, frozen peas and lavatory paper.
Take turkey out of fridge. Remove wishbone
Take mince pies out of freezer
Line up bottles of wine. Count them. Feel pleased.
Put fizz into fridge
Make sure you’ve got 3 pairs of oven gloves
Pour glass of nerve tonic. Contemplate the morrow.
Panic. Pour second glass of nerve tonic.
Sink into profound depression
Go to bed.
- 20 minutes to a grilling by the divine Simon Parkes at Food Matters. With charming Nick Nairn & angelic Angela Hartnett. 2 days ago
- terrific recipes from all over the place, and, better still, Tom's voice - greedy cheery, enthusiastic, knowledgable. 5 days ago
- Christmas Cookery Book Choice solved: Let's Eat Meat by Tom Parker Bowles - a cracking book, a cracking writer. I know he's a chum, but - 5 days ago
- Back in the saddle for GBM. 3 courses down. 5 to go today. 1 week ago
- Apparently flamenco is all about love & dead horses. Normally mares. 2 weeks ago
My latest book: A Summer in the Islands
A carefree exploration of the culture & food of the Italian islands.
- May 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- October 2013
- September 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011